JA37 Viggen EDF Build log by RCExplorer

Posted: April 29, 2013  |  87,811 views

The J37 Viggen is my absolute favorite airplane of all time. I've been thinking of building one for a long time, but I didn't just want to build a flat foamy. I wanted to do it's awesome curves meaty fuselage justice. So I decided to cut one out of 4 inch thick Bluecor using a hotwire.

Here is the plans to the formers used in this build: EDF Viggen Plans

Since Chad didn't have a hotwire in the basement, I had to build one from scratch. (How can people live without one?)

To do this build I didn't really need a big hotwire bow. I rather have a small, light one that gives me great control over the fine movements and doesn't make my arms tired.

Very basic shape. I didn't feel the need to glue 1/2" PVC pipe pieces together. The friction seems plenty strong.

The wire I use is 0.4mm thick Nikrothal 80. A nice thickness for this kind of work. It also doesn't expand as much as other hotwires when it heats up which is nice. Regardless of what wire you get you will most probably not going to be able to solder it. To get around this problem I cut a small piece of brass tubing.

I then slip the tube over the wire and clamp it down hard using a pair of pliers.

The brass is soft and makes a great electrical bond to the wire and it's super easy to solder to.

One thing you don't want on your hotwire bow is a slack wire. To achieve this I simply pushed the two arms inwards when I attached the wire. This creates an outward tension in the bow that keeps the wire taught even when it get's hot.

I wanted both wires to come out the same end so they don't end up in the way when I'm working. I simply fed a piece of wire through the inside of the bow.

Soldered toghether. Nice and clean.

Close up of the solder joint.

To control the temperature of the wire I used a BRUSHED spedcontroller and a servo tester. That way I can easily control the voltage aplied to the wire and thus control the current flow, which is what is turned into heat. I^2 * R = Heat dissapated in the wire

I started out by cutting two blocks of 4" foam

A tip is that the hotwire bow cuts perfectly straight down with the help of gravity if no external force is acting upon it. Just let it hang and make sure the power wire doesn't affect it.

Used building needles to pin the formers down.

Started by cutting the air duct for the entire F-H and C-F first

Then I cut the big pieces into the individual sections.

And cut the contours of each piece.

The F-H piece was a bit short so I had to add a piece of foam to the end.

Nose cone before shaping.

I used a power drill and some sand paper to shape it into a cone shape.

Done.

All pieces glued together.

Nosecone fits pretty well

ChangeSun 10 Blade 70mm EDF unit

To get the CG correct I mounted the fan as far back as possible.

Time to fix the intakes.

Removed around 5mm.

Sanded away the material between the air intake and the fuselage as well as smoothed the intake edges.

Before and after.

The intake was way to fragile being that thin so I glassed the edges.

Now there nice and strong.

Sanded the whole fuselage.

Added a layer of light spackle.

Sanded it again.

Nice and smooth.

Cut the wing.

I strengthened the radar detectors on the wings with a 2mm carbon rod.

Installed the canards.

Notice the positive angle of attack.

Installed the wing.

Time for the servos. Glued using hotglue to the wing.

A detail that really transforms the plane is the wing fillers. Looks great and hides the servo wires.

Servo wires going into the fuselage.

Added the bottom details to the exhaust.

I added a plastic tube on the inside of the exhaust to minimize the drag an add strength.

Speed controller installed.

The bottom plate covers the wires nicely.

To add some scale detail I added weapon hard-points made out of balsa spars.

Installed the rudder

Control linkages in place and ready for the first flight.

It flew awesome! Time to hand it over to Chad and have it painted.

Just need some decals!

The numbers are cut from orange vinyl. All other decals were printed on normal sticky back paper used for shipping labels on a laser printer and then spray painted with a layer of clear coat.

Canopy held down with magnets.

Up, up and away

Video:

Comments

Todd K April 29, 2013
Why not use blue core for the wings? Nice build!
RCbacon May 6, 2013
I think he didn´t use Blue core for the wings because it is much easier to just take some dollar tree foam board and cut it than hot wire cut it.
pitts special April 29, 2013
THAT IS AMAZING.... great work.
Krad April 29, 2013
That is one sexy airplane. Great work, David!
aidan284 April 29, 2013
This is one of the best planes i have ever seen.Awesome build log as well.Thanks Flitetest crew for doing such an awesome job.
Cheers
lracnolip April 29, 2013
best scratch build ever!
iLoveRC April 29, 2013
amazing work of art!!
phoenix April 29, 2013
Also can Chad please do a video on airbrushing techniques for RC models?
liveyourdreamsRC April 29, 2013
Yes PLEASE! that is just what I was thinking. It looks fantastic by the way Chad!
tramsgar April 30, 2013
Third that, a few plane painting episodes are way past due. I want to see the actual techniques and hear all the painting tips. Thanks in advance =).
sokol May 1, 2013
I would love to see some painting tips as well :)
PlaneButcher April 30, 2013
I love the plane!!! I built a mirage 2000 the same size and it was 950 grams! You really did a outstanding build! Keep up your good work, happy landings, - matt
Villalji April 30, 2013
Great build! Many things I was eager to see coming together: hot wire foam cutting, awesome ducted fan plane and air brush painting... If I only had time to put that to practice...
Great job as usual David!
MrChrister April 30, 2013
Skitbra David!
Apparently the name Viggen comes from "Åskvigg".
Some ole Swe word having to do with norse mythology and Thors lightning bolts...or something.
RCbacon April 30, 2013
Where did you buy that foam? Can´t find it anywhere :( Can you send a link? (if you bought on the internet)
tramsgar April 30, 2013
Great build, David! Where were you with that when the Ruskies came visiting the other day?

Maybe FT could sell the laser cut formers?
jeffreyheslop April 30, 2013
Yes laser cut formers PLEASE
learn2fly May 5, 2013
I agree! I would totally buy them

wingnut April 30, 2013
I love that paint job Chad, How about a how to video please.
onebladeprop April 30, 2013
David is a genius. Thankfully he usually uses his powers for good.
ashtodust2000 April 30, 2013
What size brushed esc for the hot wire?, also 2 or 3 cell battery?
eric May 1, 2013
+1. Can we just do a simple V = IR to size the ESC? How many watts should we be pumping in this thing?
phoenix April 29, 2013
Awesome Build David. Can't wait to see the video on build techniques.

When you built the bow, did you have add any insulation or do anything else to protect the PVC tubing from the heat of the wire?
Also when glassing the intakes did you use epoxy for this?
InvertedG May 1, 2013
When using a bow the heat is primarily in between the electrical connections. There will be some that dissipates to the ends but it is minimal and not near the melting temp of the PVC. This is a great solution.
InvertedG May 1, 2013
I use a simple car battery charger I had in the garage. I made a plug setup that I plug the battery charger into with a rotary dimmer. Then I clamp the alligator clips to the bow from there and just use the rotary dimmer as my on-off switch. Been building with hot wire bow for a few years now. Great for making wing cores.
Fabiano May 1, 2013
hi! fantastic aero, I'm from Brazil, always accompany you for the you tube channel, has started the construction of the mine would have a list of electronics?

sorry for my english, google translator ...

once again congratulations!
jlt1968 May 1, 2013
Outstanding plane David great work. How about some estes type rockets you could launch from the weapons hard points?
Great job on the paint Chad, please put together a painting how to video we would all like some tips and tricks.
And thanks FliteTest you are all doing a great job!
brandx May 1, 2013
cloud9photos May 2, 2013
Very nice build! Have you considered building one with working canards? Although it looks to fly superb the way it is set up now. Would be cool to see the canards work and how it would effect the flight characteristics.

Bondo 604 May 3, 2013
great build, you need to add measurements to the plans for the size of the templates to be made please. thanks guys and keep you the great work love the show
Jghanson25 May 3, 2013
you know... I've built a hot wire foam cutter before, but I had no idea about the crazy awesome tricks that could truely be unleashed with the darn thing! this is absolutely astonishingly fabulously incredibly realistically radically amazingly beyond explanationly awesome! Thanks David!! This scratch build is amazing and seems so simply doable! I need to build a cub or taylorcraft with these techniques when my schedule opens up. YOU GUYS ROCK!!! keep up the awesome work! I seriously hope to meet you guys someday.

-Jon.o
(*jon-oh*)
dzeanfly May 3, 2013
Marvellous !
I am going to study how I could build it...
Dzeanfly from France.
RaptorJesus May 7, 2013
BRA JOBBAT DAVID.

i am just blown away about this build. i cant stop watching the episode. you have to do FPV with this and put an afterburner in it.

Also please laser cut the templates and sell them i WILL buy them.

next project a Gripen maby? :P
brandx May 1, 2013
Hi David, Josh and Chad. Why don't you make a copy of this plane by effectively 3d printing it from your dollar tree foam board in layers, remove the paper then simply glue and sand and paint. There are some cheaply available 3d scanners you could scan the outside with and then refine the design. With some clever orientation on the sheets it could be quite efficiently cut with your nice laser and could not require much re-working and world be far stronger but a bit light than the blue.

What do you think?
x3mperformance May 9, 2013
The amount of glue would make it quit heavy.
There would be like 20 layers (or more) of 6 mm foam, thats 19 layers of heavy glue...
Pulling paper of, glueing, cutting...
Make it out of 4" Blocks in stead, you will get a much better result.
Marker May 8, 2013
Does any one know where I can buy 0.4mm thick Nikrothal 80 wire (the wire that he used on the hot wire)?
magnespins June 26, 2013
Try this on eBay:

Coops June 15, 2013
Please please please dimension the plans, or remake them in a tiled format like those for the swapable series i am so keen to build this plane it looks amazing. i am in the process of building my hotwire and am sourcing the foam for it
magnespins June 26, 2013
Yes, please do. Or maybe make subplans for the formers and the wings part. Thanks!
RCbacon July 11, 2013
There is another way :) 1. Download posterazor. 2. Open the file with the plans. 3. When you come to the scale settings set it to 100 %(it will be like 40 pages so i recommend that you use gimp or another photo editing software) If there is anthing you wonder about let me know :)
Gal 2:20 September 4, 2013
Or using version11 of AcrobatReader you can take "snapshots" of the formers and print them out actual size. You can get 1-2 formers per page. The wing and canards can be done all together in one snapshot and posterized to 12 pages within Acrobat as well.
Lokhu July 4, 2013
I would love to see a list of all the electronics, as a newbie it would really help me get what I need.
And the ChangeSun seems to be out of stock at hobbyking :/
RCbacon July 9, 2013
I thing that i have learned is you dont really have to have exact the things that he/she has when they are bulding something :) Heres comes the list! 1. One ten bladed 70 mm edf fan unit! 2. A motor that fits with that unit(some fans have already built in motors)! 3. Two servos(normal 9 grams will do the job) 4. One esc! A fast tip! Dont use an esc with the same rating as the motor use an esc which is rated for more amps :) 5. One rx and tx! (6. Maybe some connectors)! Hope i helped you and good luck!
hart May 1, 2013
Hi David,

Awesome model! Josh was clearly impressed, I don't think I've seen him quite as excited when flying a model before :-)

Quick question regarding the foam you used - obviously it is Dow blue core Styorfoam - but are you able to tell us which style of foam was used? I deduce from the Dow website that it was either Roofmate, Deckmate, Panelmate custom or SM (based on it being the only variant availbale in 4" thicknesses)? Oh, and which PSI rating was the foam? Just trying to understand what type of equivalent foam to look for here in the UK...
RCbacon July 9, 2013
I think it doesnt matter :) But if you choose a foam with higher rating it will will have a higher total weight but it will hold longer and vice versa with lower rating! Hope i helped!
spikey August 2, 2013
Hi, would you be able to make an EDF flying wing, maybe a WW2 Horten HO 229? i've been wanting to make one for a while now, but I dont have any experience in scratchbuilding foamies :)
yanivme August 6, 2013
Awesome looking plane. I have the PDF plans. Trying to make sense of them and struggling a little. Is there perhaps some more details instructions, i.e.
Dimensions for each foam core segment, recommended electronics, etc. I have looked at the original German article and cannot translate too well.

An otherwise incredible looking plane.
yanivme August 6, 2013
Also, is it possible to get the original plans in Freehand or AI format before being converted to PDF to better plot the stencils on a laser cutter?
mrscale August 23, 2013
please sell the laser cut templates. what IS YOUR LOCATION.
REPLY PLEASE
mrscale3557@yahoo.com
Panama City FL
Fire1 August 30, 2013
What is the motor in this monster?
Gal 2:20 September 2, 2013
Awesome, awesome EDF. Love all your videos and am envious of your jobs. I've had two EDFs so far and love 'em. I definitely want to try and challenge myself with this build (have never used hotwire). I will echo many others and ask for some templates for the cutting guides.Your laser cutter will do a way better job than I could do on a scroll saw. Keep up the great work and God bless.
TonkTonk September 11, 2013
What a great plane you made, it really does look awesome!
You guys inspired me to start making one for myself - even though it will probably take a year or three before I feel confident enough to try a fast plane like this...
Laser cut templates for this model sounds like a great idea btw.
Gal 2:20 September 5, 2013
Gal 2:20 September 8, 2013
Trident October 30, 2013
I'll try to build this plane. What setup do you recommend? EDF-unit, ESC and LiPo? Any idea where the CG should be?
mrscale October 30, 2013
Hello Josh can you tell me where the CG is on your Saab Viggen
mrscale3557@yahoo.com
JIM
Thanks Brother
Gal 2:20 November 10, 2013
So is this the wrong place to ask questions and get answers from David? I keep coming back to see and there are no replies.
RCExplorer November 10, 2013
CG is roughly in inch back from the where the wing meets the body.
The Fan is a Changesun 10 bladed 70mm running a 2300kV hacker motor and a 60A ESC on 4S2200mAh if I remember correctly.
Gal 2:20 November 22, 2013
Thanks David, wasn't sure if I was looking in the right place for response. Had other questions a while back but was able to figure it out between your blog and Johan's. Got most of my foam cut, had to order some hotwire, guitar strings did not last long for cutting. Can't wait to start putting it together. Will post pics when done.
Scale-German December 11, 2013
How much for a set of the Laser-cut formers so we can build our own?

Bleedin December 16, 2013
Tomas Thomsen December 3, 2013
Im about to start cutting the foam, but, i dont understand how to use template"E2-b" and "G2-b".
Please help!
Gal 2:20 December 23, 2013
Its what you use to cut the flat spot for the wing in sections E and F, after you cut the outside profile of those sections first. There is an F2-b as well. I suppose you could just go straight to the flat profile template but that may be more difficult and not come out as flat when worrying about the curved part.
micilo01 April 30, 2013
Snyggt bygge! Any chance that Gripen becomes a buildproject? I agree with tramsgar; FT selling the lasercut formers?
//Ilo
Matt Mountain January 3, 2014
Agreed again! Lasers all the way ;-)
RoryKennedy January 12, 2014
Hey David,
I was just wanting to know if it would be possible to scale up the plans on this and make it larger with specialized foam sizes and cut it out of solid piece of foam without cutting a slit through it like you did and adding an after burner to it would be awesome!!
sleepy1956 February 9, 2014
I AM WITH EVER BODY ELSE ABOUT BUYING THE TEMPLATE FOR THIS ONE AND OTHER. I AM READY TO START WITH MAKING PLANES OUT OF TEMPLATES. I AM TRYING TO MAKE MY OWN BUT IT HARDER THEN IT LOOKS
flbbcb@hotmail.com April 3, 2014
The build video shows a completed airplane with landing gear, but only briefly. Has anyone installed landing gear? How did you do it?
Gal 2:20 April 18, 2014
Hey David, finally got mine finished, check it out under Mad scratch builders forum under Rcrazy.
Gaurav March 6, 2014
Where do you guys get the 4" foam?
Gal 2:20 April 18, 2014
Rcfoam.com has 4" x 12" x24" blocks for $10.
Jcrankshaw February 12, 2014
Where's the CG and how do I print these plans to scale
Gal 2:20 April 18, 2014
CG is approx 1" behind where the wing meets the fuselage.
kerrycorcoran June 21, 2014
Can someone tell me how to scale the drawing? Looking at the PDF I don't see where the scale is. Unsure how to enlarge correctly. Any help appreciated.
latios2468 August 11, 2014
How do you make the wooden templates? Thanks!
jfbrubaker1969 August 28, 2014
It would be great if you could share the CAD file for the laser cut templates!