FT Swappable - Connecting Electronics by FliteTest

Posted: February 20, 2013  |  29,183 views

We've shown you how to build all sorts of aircraft but we've never really gone into details on the basic setup of connecting the electrics into your scratch built electric airplanes.

This specific overview is to help you with your Flite Test Speed Build Kits.

A list of the components used in this video are available here.

Be sure to read through the user manual of your specific radio and receiver because each one may have a different procedure.

As a safety tip, use tape in place of the propeller to avoid any accidents where the motor may turn on. To be sure you have the prop on correctly, a simple check would be to see that the motor should be turning counter-clock wise.

When you have the motor running in the correct direction, and it's time to install the prop, prop savers are a great way to offer some more safety and give you longer life out of your props. To be sure the prop is facing the correct direction, the numbers should be visible on the front.

Hopefully this was helpful for you!  Be sure to check out our forums as well as the following articles to find out more about any questions you may still have!

Click HERE for links to recommended ELECTRONICS AND COMPONENTS.

Click HERE for the POWER POD PLANS

To learn more about the Flite Test Scratch Builds check out the following links:

FTScratchBuild - Beginner Series

FTScratchBuild - Intermediate Series

FTScratchBuild - Advanced Series

ALL The Flite Test Scratch Build Articles

» Join the discussions on our forums

Comments

808aerosquadron February 20, 2013
These FT Swappable series of videos are excellent. Please keep up the good work.
o0Jack0o February 20, 2013
This is so cool for new comers! Would have saved me a bunch of headaches. UguyzRoK FT5*'
Adib Vahedi February 21, 2013
You guys did not out the soldering video!!!!!! But great video!

Keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
Jason Storey February 21, 2013
Excellent info here, if only I watched this a day earlier, would have certainly saved me a trip to the hospital and 8 stitches in my hand from an out of control prop. Oh well live and learn they say. Thanks guys. Ps is there a section to upload photos of what damage can be caused if not done right? If so I can post some gory hand pics and hopefully save someone else from the same fate.
stingray127 February 22, 2013
Did you use a UBEC to power your receiver? If not, then what?
stingray127 February 22, 2013
or does the ESC do that be default?
gloob72.59 February 24, 2013
Hey guys. I was wondering if you could do a video just like this only with the electronics on the baby blender.
Benn Gunn February 25, 2013
Josh Bix ... i always learn something whenever i listen to you.... thanks
ronnie.burchfield. March 1, 2013
do you have to calibrate every esc when you put a new one on a plane ? i have never calibrated one before . so is it only that type of esc or do i need to do all esc like that. im new so i dont know
cisco March 3, 2013
I'm having problems with my spektrum dx6i. I need help with mixing I can't figure this out at all.
snowthief2 March 9, 2013
what type of charger do you use to charge the battery?
BigMac46 March 22, 2013
Josh, You are my new hero. I am just getting into RC, haven't gotten off the simulator yet, and just ordered my first plane - your swappable flyer kit a week ago. It came today and is in perfect condition. Thanks for such a secure packing job. Just starting on the build and I have to feel my way along since I don't know anyone around here who is into RC to help me but your videos are making the impossible a reality. Thanks so very much and keep up the good work!
arqam May 9, 2013
dear i want this kit where i get this
i want to buy this kit any shop or company address for that
thanks

fear4fun May 13, 2013
Can you link the plugs you used to connect ESC to Motor? Are they 4mm?
anand249 May 23, 2013
if wing span is 24'' then what will be its length
tramsgar February 20, 2013
Also remember that the cables on that 24 g motor may be quite stiff and fragile - don't bend them unnecessarily or you'll have to resolder the bullet connector.
ztj133 March 19, 2014
good job ,i like it.
MetalAki March 27, 2014
well what about how to connect the Hextronic 1200kv motor (the one you guys used on FT 3D, the cruiser... ). after I bought the motor from hobbyking, it didn't even have a prop mount and the X metal plate.
MetalAki April 1, 2014
what about how to connecting the Hextronic 1200kv motor i believe so. its used on the FT 3D, and FT Cruiser . did you cut off the back motor shaft. i know you cant do the reversing, cause the prop mount is on the other side.
jyoung2014 May 7, 2014
Everything went perfectly until i pumped up the throttle. When i did so, the motor stopped running and now only runs briefly and immediately seizes to operate. WHAT DO I DO? p.s. i have the same motor as provided in the video
DrTrey28 July 11, 2014
Hey guys. I did everything in the video, but when I plug in the battery, there is a 3 beep little jingle. I assume its the power up notifier. But then, there should be 2 beeps, but mine just keeps beeping. Any one have any ideas?