FliteTest Podcast 004 - Trappy (TBS) Is Here! by FliteTest

Posted: October 21, 2013  |  18,074 views

Thank you for listening to the FliteTest podcast! In this episode we interview Trappy (Raphael Pirker) of Team Black Sheep. Instead of just having a podcast with Trappy as an interview segment, we decided to do the whole podcast with him. We wanted to use his extensive long range FPV knowledge, and his unique experiences to bring you some really valuable content.

Audio Link (Download)

Long Range FPV Discussions:

1. What do you anticipate for the FPV hobby in 5 years? in the USA? Abroad?

Is it possible to simultaneously grow and protect the hobby we all love so much?

2. Integrated vs Modular designs

3. Long range FPV safety

4. Circular vs Polarized Antennas

Some of our Q&A Questions:

1. TBS sometimes fly without spotters, use illegal equipment and film without permission. What is your rationale for this?

2. What is the most trouble you have gotten in while shooting a video?

3. Do you feel you are damaging the reputation of the FPV hobby by your actions?

4. Most epic fail, hardest to reach lost plane?

5. What's your favorite transmitter?

Links:
Motion To Dismiss: FAA-v-Pirker
Team Black Sheep
Ham Test Online
IB Crazy

Antennas 101 - Polarization, Diversity & Gain Patterns

Motion to Dismiss

RF Explorer (Spectrum Analyzer)

Podcast Fort...

TBS Video - The High Tech Line

TBS Video - Angkor Wat FPV

Join the discussion below!
What do you anticipate for the FPV hobby in 5 years? In the USA? Abroad?
_______________________________

Comments

Johan October 21, 2013
Great quote from David: "Other forums have trolls, our forums have CareBears", LOL
Airborne Media Pros October 22, 2013
Hey David Windestål and the rest of the flight test guys, Thanks for the shout out at 7:07.
I'd love to be on your show some time. If you would like some more info about Canada and UAVs I'd be happy to contribute.
rocketscience October 22, 2013
just wanted to put this here so it's easy to find.

antenna 101
j0bro October 22, 2013
Listened it all the way, very entertaining and informative. Thanks guys, looking forward to the YouTube episode!
FinalFrag October 22, 2013
Love the show, love the podcasts

Although I wouldn't mind if the podcasts were longer. The videos take a lot of editing and such, so I understand that they are a lot of work to get out there. However, I don't think editing the podcast is such a big job, right? So on that note, longer is better imo :D
dammuozz October 22, 2013
Loved this episode!!! You should totally do a part 2...even if it could be too late now...
sailorJohn October 22, 2013
SilverWolvie October 22, 2013
Loved the episode keep it up team flite test ;)
And Trappy love your FVP vids!
Crashpilot1000 October 22, 2013
Says one money shark to the other "nobody likes you", what a lol. Little man syndrome at its' best.
RoyBro October 22, 2013
As always, great podcast. And as always, a minor critique.

On your streaming controls, can you make the timeline bar longer? Or at least add a rewind 10 seconds button. At times there is some local noise that makes me miss something that is said and I want to go back one or two sentences. The current controls makes it like 15 or 30 minutes.

And once again, please make the podcasts available on Audible.com.

Thanks,
MentalWhiplash October 22, 2013
Bixler...would you really rather have an unknown commodity flying a multirotor FPV over a crowd than an FAA certified pilot who is required to maintain a minimum altitude/distance in certain locations? No, you wouldn't. Trappy is honest, though. He's not an ambassador...not at all. He doesn't care about the world outside of his bubble. As far as "I can do it wherever I want because my video isn't for commercial purposes" ...hmm...I see a profit center on their site directly related to the activity.

My 12 y/o likes to rationalize her behavior, too ("If you don't respect me, why should I respect you"....really? "yeah, but..."). I'm glad you had him on. David, good job of keeping your intellectual integrity. I'm not insulting him. He's just not the type of person I would personally choose to associate with.
mordy October 24, 2013
Jake Wells October 28, 2013
+100
Genetics101 October 22, 2013
24367dfa October 22, 2013
He IS giving the PUBLIC a positive picture, the other fpvers just might not like it! Did you even listen to the podcast?
MDOwn October 22, 2013
Genetics101 October 22, 2013
OMG get over yourself- lol that name was coined by someone other than myself & seems harmless to me, also "renegade"? Please man! You are doing more to instigate a problem by coming to his rescue. I've removed my comment & actually apologized to trappy, so weather he accepts my apology is up to him but there are a lot of open wounds on this subject. Kindly refrain from playing the do-gooder please. You are in England & I am in the USA , the rules/regs are quite different & so is the way law enforcement handles it.Thank you
MDOwn October 23, 2013
I feel like you misunderstood the point I was making. It's not the fact you label him, it is that you accuse him and TBS of negatively representing the hobby. Renegade in this sense is that he has rejected and betrayed his cause, it is plainly not true. His cause just doesn't agree with yours. I apologise if I was not clear.

I also find your characterisation of me as a 'do-gooder' a little ironic, as I am agreeing with the person you were accusing of being reckless, dangerous and inconsiderate of others...,

I imagine the law enforcement is incredibly different there, and I don't pretend to know anything about it, but the approach they are taking is going to hopefully bring some uniformity and consistency to it.
Genetics101 October 25, 2013
No problem- I apologize also. Maybe I can better explain our position (at least in the state I live in)- The United States government (as you may have already heard) is becoming the "feared police state"! I could go into greater detail but I do t think its necessary.. We are having a problem tho & it has to do with people in general, where I live we have multitudes of people who have "NO" lives & will pick up the phone & call law enforcement for absolutely nothing! So the problem is is we have to walk on eggshells for whatever we do or police will show up & play their power trip! I have had the police called on myself 3 times now for playing with my Quadcopter in the park & flying FPV out in the countryside, it's gotten ridiculous so when someone comes into my country as a foreigner & flies the way Trappy flies then you might imagine how I feel when my beloved hobby is already at risk.. As you may know the FAA & law enforcement has already made an example of him & come next year we will be at the mercy of our "almighty" lawmakers. I have already made my amends with Trappy for personal reasons but there are many many more that take a pretty serious attitude about this kind of style of flying.. I know the man is a skilled & seasoned pilot there's no doubt about that, but when people that see his fly style that don't know anything about it they think it's radical & unsafe. I am not just making this up, there are more than 2 sides to this whole mess, there are more like 5 sides- lol. Anyway- just thought I'd try & clear it up a bit & no hard feelings
rocketscience October 22, 2013
No matter your opinion, always need to hear all sides, not close 1 eye or 1 ear so to speak. Flitetest was right to bring him on. Try to be a little more objective.
Genetics101 October 25, 2013
That doesn't make much sense! "No matter my opinion, I always need to hear all sides"? WHAT? Firstly- I have heard all sides lol secondly, I could say the same thing to you about being a little more objective. Basically what you want me to do is see it your way instead of my way. That's what makes us individuals DUDE! Everybody has their own opinion no matter how wrong yours might be hahahahah . Try to be a little more objective, it's not rocket science lol !
24367dfa October 22, 2013
oh and by the way... you're disrespectful but expect to be respected? really? sounds clownish to me...
Genetics101 October 25, 2013
Really ? I thought that jumble of numbers for a username was pretty clownish myself
dammuozz October 22, 2013
Your comment is out of place there
Genetics101 October 25, 2013
tramsgar October 22, 2013
I like your podcasts like i like cheezballs. No stopping until it's all finished.
Jensen567 October 23, 2013
Loved the podcast, I wish they were all this long if not longer.

While I do not necessarily agree with the way Trappy does things, and I don't think he approaches dealing with people with the best attitude, I do respect him for sticking to his beliefs, and at the very least being open and honest about what he does.

It was nice to see that despite having different views everyone was able to sit down and talk about it like adults, I completely agree that it would be damaging to not discuss something just because some people may view it as wrong. Right or wrong, things need to be put out on the table so that everyone can at least understand what it is.
D-hive October 22, 2013
Hi Guys! You have mentioned that you were going to put a link to the motion to dismiss regarding the FAA case. Do you by any chance have that link? Thanks
24367dfa October 23, 2013
this reddit thread has a lot of information on the case: http://www.reddit.com/r/Multicopter/comments/1oq9c2/media_collection_trappy_vs_faa/
austinfurey October 23, 2013
I updated the article with the link. Sorry about that!

Nice reddit thread also.
JasonEricAnderson October 23, 2013
Great episode. I want to give big props (pun intended) to everyone on the show. This podcast episode is an example of adults having a mature conversation about a controversial topic. Everyone was open an honest and the result was a really great episode that has given us all a lot to think about.
apnewton October 23, 2013
Fantastic discussion. Intelligent and balanced, well done.

Sound quality was bad to start, over level distortion, but improved as it progressed. (downloaded via Downcast on iPhone 4s)
Airborne Media Pros October 22, 2013
I have a question for Tappy,

Where do you get your great music for your vids and do you have to pay royalties? I'd love to use some of the same music.
iPeel October 24, 2013
I hope they don't have to pay royalties, as I have actually gone and bought albums from artists featured in their videos. I listen to K-Theory ( from the Costa Concordia video ) a lot.
wsmith1 October 24, 2013
Very informative. I had no idea about the controversy surrounding this hobby, this has opened my eyes.
iPeel October 24, 2013
I find it interesting that in a discussion about long range FPV there was no mention of David piloting a plane from the edge of space.
FliteTest October 24, 2013
That is interesting. Wonder why nobody brought it up.
Burly October 24, 2013
Until specific regulations are put in place...common sense should be the rule in any RC activity. Flying over Niagara Falls is OK in my book. But flying over a crowd at a large event like the Bull Run...crashing into the crowd...then taking back off...and flying over the crowd a second time is just stupid. It's this kind of idiocy that what will ruin it for everyone.

Trappy comes off as more than a bit arrogant. He doesn't care how his actions affect the hobby. As long as it's "within the law", any buttons that Trappy can push to boost his personal notoriety, he will gladly push.

So let's say my neighborhood doesn't have laws against noise. That means I have the right to blast my stereo in the back yare at 1000 decibels. If the neighbors don't like it, that's just tough, because I like to listen to my music loud and outdoors...and there's no law against it.

In Trappy's mind everything seems to be black and white, and driven by statue. Common sense, courtesy, or good of the hobby really isn't a consideration.

It's a very tried and true method of generating publicity by pushing the limits and being the "gansta" or "bad boy or girl". His methods aren't much different than the controversy stirred up by retailers like Abercrombie and Fitch, or celebrities like Milley Cyrus. Yep, Trappy's sees himself as the Milley Cyrus of RC.

Genetics101 October 25, 2013
I couldn't of said it better! We are absolutely on the same page as is most of my state in the NW, I won't trash talk him anymore as I promised him through a personal apology but he needs to understand that he is coming into our country & that in itself demands a certain amount of respect for the way we think as a people. (Example) I went into Mexico as a young man & knowing it was legal to drink in public I totally took advantage of the "PRIVILEGE" & needless to say got completely wasted & made a crazy fool of myself, policia approached me & told me I could either leave their country immediately (Tijuana Mexico ) or go to jail, obviously I had enough sense to choose the latter of the two but the principle is the same! You come into our country & you do things the way we do them or you pay the price! OR LEAVE! Thank you for your commentary
TheWW1FlyingAce October 25, 2013
I'm a libertarian by nature, so I was ready to give Trappy the benefit of the doubt, but the podcast just made me understand that he doesn't give a rat's patootie about whether he ruins things for everyone or not. And it's not like he lives here, so the laws that might get passed because of his actions don't really affect him.

He needs to understand that politicians and governments are rarely logical when they pass laws. It's more important in their eyes to avoid liability by "doing something", and that "something" usually ends up being draconian. It's easier and faster to simply ban something that to attempt a nuanced response. And Trappy is giving them plenty of ammo to do that.

Flying right over people who have not given specific, informed consent is unconscionable.
phoenix October 25, 2013
Best podcast yet. Keep up the good work. Long podcasts are gooood!
santiago404 October 21, 2013
Best podcast ever. If it had 5 hour duration i would listen it all.
phoenix October 25, 2013
Here here!
Paulobrasil October 25, 2013
I really enjoyed this Pod Cast!

Special for the name for the TBS wing! Caipirinha, who ever drink it, knows how it´s good!
Jensen567 October 25, 2013
One thing I have to add to Trappy's comment about his videos not being a commercial product, and containing no ads. MANY of his videos contain ads, especially the more recent ones within the last 2 years. There are ads for HobbyKing, RiteWing, Immersion RC, etc. Along with the outside ads, many of the videos also feature an ad in the beginning for TBS products (Zephyr, Discovery, Caipirinha).

So they are a commercial product, at least the newer ones.
iflylilplanes October 26, 2013
Great interview, all your topics are informative and fun, BUT, we the RC FPV model aircraft flyers need to stop using the term "drone", drone is a military term and as far as I know none of the interviewers or interviewees along with 99% of RC flyers around the world do not fly for the military. It would help the hobby (FPV)more if the uninformed see us as model aircraft flyers, drones have the reputation of surveillance and attacking the enemy. This is a stigma we the hobbyists don't need. I love what Flite Test and Trappy do
JimCR120 November 26, 2013
I agree. Words can carry with them extra ideas and while the particulars of the FPV flavor of the hobby get sorted out I wouldn't want to antagonize the issue.
-Gijs- October 26, 2013
great podcast!
fpv is a subject for discussion. government would like to forbid completely but us hobbyists are hurt by that. the government forget that every individual is equipped with something like "common sense" or at least a brain in your skull. it's sensible to think about the risk your gonna take. nobody is gonna fly a plane in his house because of the danger of hitting the closet with the delicate china and stuff.
If your able to set up a plane, equipe it with fpv and fly it, you should have some intelligence.

but if you want to harm, nobody will stop you.....

keep up the good work!
Approx November 7, 2013
Approx November 7, 2013
Im from Portugal, im in rc for 12 years, i love and build my tricopters, and well... among other things, i disarm kk2`s in the air... so no frustrations here... i personally like what TBS does and think that some of of the TBS hatters just envy what they do, but not all of them... i don't approve or like trappy position in some aspects, for example saying " they don't respect why should i respect?" Well... trappy you seem like an intelligent guy, and things can't be treated in such a linear way, wean your dealing with big stuff... also take in mind that most of the people DON'T KNOW WEAN THEIR IN DANGER trust me they don't, and that doesn't mean that they're stupid, not at all... let me give you a small example, wean i was a kid i have been under an helicopter wille he was filling his bambi bucket, and i managed to touched his skids, even knowing, that if something goes wrong, i will probably die... what i mean is that most people trust you wean your flying, and thet simply dismiss the fact that they can be hurt, so don't take chances! You got a name, projection, and your good in what you do, but that doesn't mean everything you may say, think or do is entirely correct. As for FlightTest Team, i clearly think that they were one of the best things that happened in rc world in the last decade. Their position and their values are a must in this wonderful hobby.
sokol November 10, 2013
There is missing link to the RF explorer, not that its hard to find but I could not remmber the name and I had to listen to couple of podcasts again as I did not remmber in which one it was mentioned :)
FKreider November 10, 2013
This was my favorite podcast so far. Being long is not a negative in my book, if the topic is good then let the conversation go as long as you find it interesting. Lots of really good information and points about FPV in this episode!
fish360 November 24, 2013
Kudos for calling out Trappy on his disrespectful commenting habits. Flite Test rocks - keep it coming!
JimCR120 November 26, 2013
Brothers,
Excellent show. I wasn't sure about the podcast route but I am really liking how this is going, especially because of this one. The questions were respectful yet "hot seat" type questions that would put some on edge. Trappy though is a cool cucumber who has thought a lot through. I'm not saying I agree totally but there was good discussion. And what a great example that is to the rest of us that we could discuss the issues we disagree on in a respectful way. I would have liked to have heard Trappy's own ideas of how really is too far. He defended his position but I still am not sure what he considers as his ethical/moral/safe boundaries for FPV flying.
Great show.
—Jim
Anon Pilot March 25, 2014
A really worthwhile Podcast I thought. Too late I suppose to be worth the effort of writing them but these are my few thoughts from the UK: TBS videos? I started off being very impressed by Trappy and co. but by now, having watched a few dozen, I am beginning to find the jumpy, 'pop-video' style of particularly the more recent videos annoying, visually straining, and difficult to watch, more often than not I have to mute the sound because as a professional musician it often quickly starts to annoy me. Please, FT, don't copy it.

I am still really outside the hobby and have never done any of these wonderful things, yet, but the idea of flying low over roads, or even alongside from a moving vehicle makes me VERY uncomfortable, given the known potential for unusual distractions to cause RTAs.

I think that any legislation that is created needs to recognise the extreme light-weightedness of many of the FPV fixed wings. On the other hand, I personally wouldn't fancy having a TBS Discovery Pro dropped on my head from any distance at all.

Whilst I applaud TBS's commitment to innovation, I would question whether a necessary cost of this must be to so often challenge and irritate authority. Plus, it's probably a good thing that the military airforces don't routinely develop their tech. by flying it low over urbanised areas. LOL

I started out being a fan of TBS and their disciples, but now I am NOT comfortable with it at all. The trouble is, I will still probably watch, and THAT then encourages them: awkward.

Again, great show, great resource,

God bless