Ycopter Quad. Part 1 - Design by ycopter
Introducing the YQ2 Quadcopter
It is designed for DIY construction using cheap and readily available materials and incorporates many of the ideas in my ‘Tune Your Multi-rotor’ article.
This quad is design for fast and agile flight. It is not a light weight design at all, with large battery, GoPro 2 in its protective case and FPV gear it weighs 2.2Kg. Although not as efficient as lighter machines, it still has a flight time of between 6-9 minutes and the extra weight gives it a very stable flight profile.
- 2 stage camera vibration dampening.
- Sharp and vibration free 1080p video (providing the motors and props are reasonably well balanced).
- Up to 11” propellers out of view of the video.
- Relatively level fast forward flight.
- GoPro camera can be angled down for plan view or slightly back for fast forward flight.
- Stable with mass along central axis.
- Fairly level pitch in fast forward flight.
- Stable in moderate winds.
- Designed for fast and agile flight.
- Rigid frame hardly flexes, this keeps the motors held firmly in place which allows for accurate and predictable control.
- Ultra strong core frame.
- GoPro mounted in its protective case.
- Weak points designed in, in the event of a crash the following are intended to break:
- Wooden arms (plug in design makes them simple to replace).
- Cable ties holding on landing legs.
- GoPro is soft mounted with Velcro and silicone rubber.
- DIY construction.
- Uses GRP or G10 sheet material and readily available wood sections.
- Dirty and clean areas.
- Video TX at front and RC and GPS antennas at back provides 400mm separation.
- Fast and accessible battery location.
- Easy to adjust the centre of gravity.
- Uses 4S batteries in the range of 3000mah to 5000mah.
- Self-contained video TX, OSD and power regulator which is removable.
- Props out of view of the FPV camera and GoPro.
- Motor arms can be removed for compact transportation.
Frame weight 650gm (Includes GoPro camera mount).
Motor to motor - 681mm (diagonal)
- 500mm (width)
- 463mm (length)
Height 105mm (lower plate to top of GoPro case)